Links for Computers AFTERNOON Session – Session 2
What is cryptography? (Youtube video by Khan Academy)
The Caesar cipher (Youtube video by Khan Academy)
Links for Makerspace MORNING Session – Session 2
Links for Computers MORNING Session – GIS – Session 1
The final project must contain a minimum of 4 slides and 1 map. Here are some examples of a Story Map Journal that can be used for reference to make your own story map.
An ArcGIS account is required for your child to save the Story Map Journal that they create.
- Go to http://www.arcgis.com/
- Click on ‘Sign In’ on the right hand side
- Click on ‘CREATE A PUBLIC ACCOUNT’
- Create account using a Facebook login or a Gmail id OR click Enter your information using an existing email address
Links for Story Maps
Links for Computers AFTERNOON – Session 1
What is the Internet (Youtube video by code.org)
HTTP & HTML (Youtube video by code.org)
The Internet: IP Addresses & DNS (Youtube video by code.org)
How Computers Work: CPU, Memory, Input & Output (Youtube video by code.org)
How Computers Work: Hardware and Software (Youtube video by code.org)
Code your own website with HTML & CSS using Thimble by Mozilla – An online code editor for learners & educators
Steps to 3D print your child’s ring. There is no additional cost to print this ring.
Search for ‘beamakerclub’ on thingiverse.com. Download one of the blank signet ring files. Navigate to the location of your downloaded folder. Right-click to unzip the folder and extract the files. NO ACCOUNT NEEDED.
Log in to your Tinkercad account and upload the blank signet file. Add your initials to the ring and then export the entire design as an .STL file. Save this in your computer’s Downloads folder.
Log into your Polar3D cloud account and send it to print on any one of the four Beamakerclub 3D printers.
How to create an account on TinkerCad
- Go to https://www.tinkercad.com
- Click on ‘SIGN UP’ button on the right-hand side
- Enter your child’s details on the ‘Create Account’ page
- Then enter a username, password and your email (parent’s email)
- Once your account is created use student code AIS66LXL
How to create an account on Polar 3D
- Go to https://polar3d.com/
- Click the green SIGN IN button on the right-hand side and sign in with any of the accounts.
- Look for the group ‘Be A Maker Club student group’ and use the code F9GDH3F6 to join
Create an account on SCRATCH to save your children’s games
- Go to scratch.mit.edu
- Click on the Join Scratch button on the right hand side of the screen
- Enter a username, password and other details
- A parent or guardian’s email is required to complete account creation. An email confirmation is sent, that needs to be approved
Other useful links
Things to Try in Scratch
TINKERCAD + MINECRAFT – https://blog.tinkercad.com/2013/08/15/tinkercraft/
SPHERO Coding Lessons
Blocks 1: Intro & Loops https://edu.sphero.com/cwists/preview/1671x
Recursion & Ocean Colors https://edu.sphero.com/cwists/preview/15598x
Costa Rican Turtles https://edu.sphero.com/cwists/preview/14672x
Ocean Food Webs https://edu.sphero.com/cwists/preview/13586x
EDUCATIONAL ONLINE GAMES
Sheppard Software – http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/science.htm
PBS Games – http://pbskids.org/games/
National Geographic Kids – https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/games/
Poptropica – http://www.poptropica.com/